February 6, 2011

127 Hours

While the rest of the world watched a football game today I ventured out to redeem my free 2 liter bottle of Sierra Mist at an almost-empty Kroger. What a great time to get some grocery shopping done! Driving home was a breeze too, not a single car on the road. Going to the store was a little different. I had to inform a driver that he was a dickweed but he didn't hear me since the driver side window won't go down on my Ford Crapstar. Even if I had the window down I doubt dickweed would have noticed his new name as he was in a real hurry swirving around me to get somewhere yesterday. There must have been a Dickweed Bowl Party he was late for.

So I got my free Sierra Mist and a few groceries and headed home to have a quiet evening watching something other than the Super Bowl. Dateline was my program of choice. Wow. What a moving show tonight. Tom Brokaw interviewed Aron Ralston, the adventurist who amputated his own arm to free himself from a fallen boulder pinning him in Blue Ridge Canyon in 2003. Here's a clip from the show.

 

I remember the headlines when this happened but really didn't know much about the story until this evening. Aron Ralston is amazing! Now I just have to see the movie based on his story - 127 Hours. Here's the trailer.
 
 
I'm so glad I learned about Aron's story tonight. It makes you think and wonder if you'd have it in you to survive the way he did. I guess complaining about one stupid dickweed on the road this evening seems pretty stupid now. 

No comments: