January 11, 2011

Dumb Bully Sh!thead Boy

Sadly, today's discovery isn't a surprise but it is very bothersome; An eye witness report of a pathological bully spewing hatred in a local middle school (again). Like I said, not much of a surprise. Bullies can be found everywhere but I believe the largest population of hateful snots can be found in our middle schools. Ask any teacher, they'll tell you the same thing, middle school is where bullies rise to power and the gentle souls either become victims or go to the dark side and become followers, kind of like bully apprentice. I am proud to say my children have never been bullies. They have however been victims. 

The eye witness today was my daughter. She has been tormented by the same mean-spirited bully since the beginning of the school year. Today the bully targeted my daughter again and found two more girls to add to his list of victims. I'm proud of my girl though. She's been listening to me and didn't allow the prepubescent brat to bring her down. She was like Teflon, the hurtful words didn't stick and now she's offering support to the other girls who are being verbally attacked. 

Since the bullying started I've been encouraging my daughter to just walk away and never, ever let him see her cry. I explained how bullies get their rocks off watching people react, they love seeing tears because those tears make them feel powerful. I know all of this is easier said than done, especially when you're only 12 but with lots of heart to heart talks and our latest strategy my girl is feeling more and more empowered. So much so she's ready to advocate for others.

Every morning before my girl leaves for school I remind her of our strategy. It goes like this...


Blah, blah, blah goes the bully.
Okay my love, you have a good day.
Remember what to do if that
bully starts talking smack.



Hear me whisper in your ear.
Then I whisper in her ear ---

He's nothing but a little shithead.
If he starts something with you I
want you to hear me whispering,
"He's a little shithead" in your ear.

This always makes her giggle because
it's funny to hear a grown up say shithead 
in a calm, matter-of-fact kind of way.



Shithead's voice fades.
 Now, I want you to enjoy your day, learn lots
and don't let the little shithead bring you 
down. Shitheads don't deserve your 
time and energy.



Who's got the power now shithead?
 And don't forget, just walk away. You
can walk away laughing if you want.
That will confuse the little shithead and
make him frustrated. In time he won't 
have any fun messing with you because
he doesn't get the reaction he wants.


That's our strategy. I call it Mission Empowerment and from what I can see it's starting to work. My girl is getting it. She is beginning to see that she's the one with the power and is learning that her energy is all hers. She's learning to spend her energy on things and people who deserve it, not dumb bully shithead boys.  Can I hear an AMEN?! 
               

2 comments:

Megan said...

Amen sister!!!!

Catherine Bell Smith said...

AMENAMENAMEN. You are amazing, Cyndi