January 31, 2011

Eddie Eagle Works For The NRA

I really couldn't tell you how exactly I stumbled upon this today. All I know is I came home from an amazing 24 hour computerless get-away in a cabin with friends and had to catch up on the headline news and my favorite blogs. One link lead to another and another then I came across Eddie. Eddie Eagle to be exact. This darling character is a mascot for the National Riffle Association.   

Eddie Eagle is kind of like Smokey The Bear but with feathers and lots of gun talk. He teaches cute little children about leaving guns alone unless you're at the firing range with mom and dad or killing Smokey for fun with an adult. 


The Violence Policy Center has a great article about Eddie Eagle and the NRA's campaign to entice kids to want a gun and become future leaders of the association. Here's an Eddie Eagle coloring book that was published and distributed through schools. Gosh, he looks so mean! And what's up with that kid's head? I don't know who did the illustrations for this but they should stick to rendering firearms. Looks like some mighty fine detail work on them there guns. 

http://www.vpc.org/studies/eddieone.htm


Now here's the new and improved Eddie in his very own animated cartoon for the kids!  I know, it's a long, agonizing six minutes but try to stick with it until the 1:27 point to meet The Chief. Take a good look at how his mouth moves...pretty entertaining if you ask me. 








Th--tha-tha--th-thaa--That's all folks!

No comments: