February 8, 2011

Did You Say Poop And Drop?

It was my first day of my new, absolutely perfect, part time job. I wasn't nervous about being the new kid or feared being a slow learner but I was a bit anxious about conducting myself properly. It's been a loooong time since I had a job in an office setting or a workshop. 

On my drive into work this morning I practiced some deep breathing techniques, turned off the radio, and chanted a mantra I haven't used in a while..."I open my heart and I open my mind to recieve the presence of (fill in blank)." I fill my blank with God but "Higher Power", "David", "Buddha", "Allah", or even "Love" can fill the blank. I just happen to call my higher power by the name of God. Anyway, I chanted my mantra several times which helped me enter my new job with confidence and joy. It was tits! 

The first thing I learned today was where the communal snack bar is, and that's important in my opinion. I then learned the lay of the land with tours of the t-shirt printing shop and offices, met my new co-workers, memorized the manufacture's names of t-shirt colors, and learned some of the shop lingo such as hoop and drop. That's shop talk for preparing a shirt for the printer.

My hoop and drop lesson started after my bathroom break and a plugged ear due to a head cold and my decongestant wearing off. After leaving the bathroom my lovely trainer said something to me as I approached her and my bad ear heard a muffled comment that sounded something like this..."Did you poop and drop?"  Huh???? Did I poop and drop??? I thought that was kind of funny and a very interesting way to break the ice but gosh, we just met. I wasn't sure how to react. My lovely trainer then replied with something like, "That's what we call this, hoop and drop". I busted out laughing then told her what I thought she said. She had a good laugh too. I feel like my poop and drop incident became a bonding moment and it reassured me that I am truly working with a wonderful group of people with a great sense of humor. I don't think there's a single shithead or dickweed in the place. It's all good stuff.

Tomorrow I'll be trained by a different printing expert. I might have to pin this to my shirt or tape it over my bad ear.

International Symbol of Deaf/Hard of Hearing

No comments: