April 8, 2011

The Dynamic Duo

http://catherinebellsmith.blogspot.com/
Wow! I think one of the best things I learned today was how incredibly amazing Catherine Bell Smith is. Well, I already knew she was amazing but tonight I learned she's the queen of awesomeness. I also learned how incredibly amazing Claire E. Smith  is too. This dynamic duo can sure put together a stunning exhibit! Rural Routes (Not Your Traditional Landscape) is a two woman show curated by Alissa Sorenson at the Ohio Art League Gallery.

Tonight was the opening of Rural Routes and I was absolutely blown away. These ladies kicked some major ass. The show consists of lithographs, drawings and three large sculptures that create an installation for viewers to weave around (and through) to capture the beauty of a scenic route of natural fibers, cloth and steel. The viewer becomes a traveler passing through farmland masterfully constructed in not-so-traditional ways. 


Rural Routes is one of those exhibits that isn't just viewed, it's experienced. I know I'll be going back to experience this beautiful show again. I'm looking forward to journeying through when the 'routes' aren't so crowded. 








   

No comments: