April 26, 2011

Society Doesn't Like The Name Dick Or Thinking About Penises

I think the most flattering thing that happened to me today was having a piece of artwork censored! It's like getting a Girl Scout badge for being a bad ass. I'm not bragging and I'm not counting but I have TWO Bad Ass badges now and I proudly wear them on my invisible sash. But I'm not bragging.

Here's the deal. I'm not trying to make work that's controversial, I'm just making work I enjoy making. I make it for me first then it's for whoever else who chooses to view it or better yet, buy it. Getting censored from time to time doesn't bother me. It actually makes my nipples a little bit hard when I get censored because censorship boils down to societal expectations...the very thing my artwork is about. It's about a 1960's housewife trying to break free from a toxic relationship AND society's expectations of what a good little wifey should be.





This is the evil, family unfriendly piece that got rejected from an upcoming exhibit. The 'Dickless Home' and 'Dick's Out' combo would be the problem here. Society doesn't like the name Dick or thinking about penises. Well, that's not really how the censorship was presented to me, that's just me being a dick. Actually, my notification of the censorship was the loveliest rejection email I've ever gotten. I have no hard feelings. How could I have hard feelings? I do my artwork for me and I'm not offended by it and my family unfriendly work has been seen by my own family everyday for 10 years and have yet to show signs of being emotionally scarred. Seriously, why would I be upset? It's all good.

Well, enough about my censorship. I have another Bad Ass badge to sew on my invisible sash then I'm off to bed.






   

 

No comments: