May 26, 2011

311 And The Best Trash Dudes Ever

Boy! I learned lots today! It started at 8:19 this morning when I called 311. First off, I learned how fast and painless it is to call the City of Columbus Call Center to ask why my bulk pick up dudes didn't pick up my bulk. They were scheduled for a pickup yesterday but nothing was taken. 

I spoke with the nicest Call Center representative and she immediately scheduled another pick up. I was informed it may not be removed until tomorrow but it would definitely be gone by the weekend. After my 2 minute phone call I hung up and smiled. What a wonderful surprise it was to talk to a city employee first thing in the morning and feel like a valued customer. I was totally prepared to be a bitch and demand my pile of crap be removed ASAP and threaten to contact the media about poor service but instead, I feel I need to write a letter to compliment my Call Center representative and compliment the City too. Yes, I am now a big 311 fan.

The next lesson learned was at 9:37. The phone rang and it was my bulk pickup dudes, they were in the back alley. They told me they couldn't remove my crap! Grrrrrr. Hearing that stirred the crazed bitch in me but after asking why, Trash Dude explained and I felt better. Our crap was still on our property, not the City's property, and when that happens the crap can't be picked up. It's a liability thing. Trash dude said it would all have to be moved about 4 feet to be on City Property then they could pitch it. I told them not to leave and I would be right out to move the crap.

At this point I was having mixed emotions about the whole thing. Part of me was pleased that my crap was going to be gone but the other part of me thought the whole thing was stupid and I was going to feel stupid moving my stupid crap, all by myself, while the trash dudes watched, then they would move the stupid crap again while I watched them complete the job. Seriously, isn't that down right stupid?! 


Well, once again I got myself worked up for nothing. I meet Trash Dude 1, Trash Dude 2, and Trash Dude 3 in the alley and as soon as I started trying to move some of the trashed furniture they quickly stopped me. They were the sweetest Trash Dudes I've ever met. They would not allow me to move anything and happily did the job without my help. I still picked up a few loose items because I was dying to throw them in the heavy duty garbage crushing truck just to watch the powerful crushing action. It was great!

Although I learned plenty other things today I think I'll just stick to the lessons learned with my City of Columbus experiences. I have to say, our City workers are fine folks and I should never have thought they were going to be complete dicks. Shame on me for expecting the worst.  
     

No comments: