March 12, 2011

Lose An Hour Of Your Life





Just when I started to get into the swing of things, getting my seasoned bad self to bed at a descent hour and getting at least 6 hours of sleep a night, I'll be losing an hour before rise and shine tomorrow morning. It's that time of year again to spring our clocks forward, spring our tired dragging asses around on the second Sunday of March or show up at church to find nobody there because we were a dumb ass and forgot to change our clocks before going to bed. Yes, it's that time of year to bitch about losing an hour of our life until we realize the sun is still out at 7:30 in the evening, then we forget all our pissing and moaning when we remember we like having more daylight. Let's hope we actually have sun tomorrow so we can fully enjoy the experience. I think I'll check the forecast. If we have a dark rainy day in store I'll op to keep my clock just where it is.

What I learned today is Daylight Savings Time was first instituted in the U.S. during World War I to save energy for war production by taking advantage of the later hours of daylight between April and October. I also learned that four additional long, dark weeks were added to Daylight Savings Time in 2007 due to the passage of the Energy Policy Act in 2005.



So there you have it. I learned that we have an additional four weeks of early darkness in the evenings so we can save energy by having our lights on longer. Huh????

 

 

No comments: